Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week 6: A door of light

          I encountered this setting as I was walking back to my apartment after class. This picture takes place right in front of my apartment door. I was very surprised that I had never seen this lighting display before since I walk through this path every single day. As soon as I walked onto my porch I immediately saw this image and took the picture. What caught my eye was that the light almost makes a perfect rectangular shape on the floor. The rectangle looks exactly like a door. What drew me to the rectangular light was the fact that it was the biggest source of light that afternoon. I live on the backside of a building so the sun doesn't always directly shine on our side but this time the sun slowly attempted (and succeeded) in peeking its way in. What’s interesting is how expanded the rectangle is when its source is a small window type opening, the rectangular light is twice the size of the actual opening.  If this light shape were on a wall it could easily be used on stage to display a door that could lead someone off somewhere to a place “beyond”. It clearly is not what an actual door would literally look like but the interpretation would make it clear. It’s like what we've discussed in class, it’s someone’s interpretation that really helps make the setting.

           One of the reasons why I liked this setting so much is because it reminded me of one of our first days of class, when we had to make a triangle with the lamp shutters. Although I remember the triangle being challenging for me to make, I think a rectangle would seem to be a lot easier to cut. In regards to putting this on stage it would be very manageable.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice image - so glad you took notice of the moment

    It is a very theatrical look and one of those in nature that would be easy to duplicate :)

    Nice observations of context

    ReplyDelete