Friday, November 9, 2012

Week 5: Why Don't People Turn on the Light in Horror Films?

With Halloween this week, my friends and I were having a blast trying on costumes, taking scary pictures, and naturally, playing with light. My friend had purchased a mask a while back and we were playing around with other Halloween props before we ventured out to a party. I was amazed after look at the photos of just what turning on a light does. In the darker picture, there is not really a distinguishing characteristic of my friend. I see the mask and a shadow of a man. There is mystery; he is menacing and I'd be nervous if I saw him randomly in a dark hallway. I see a gleam of something in his mouth and everything kind of blends together. Yet, when the hall light is on, I see the sword is plastic, his shirt is purple, and I can see him clearly. While still a bit unnerving due to the mask, he is my friend playing a character. Mystery has left - all because we turned on a light.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you not only playing with light but learning more what it can do, and in this case probably observing something you already knew but internalizing it more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is interesting. As was said above, we all probably knew this, but never really thought about it. We kind of just think, "Gosh, those characters are so stupid: Turn on a light! Duh!" We don't really think about it from a technical side. Good point. :)

    ReplyDelete