Sunday, November 25, 2012

Week 8: The Perks of Being Stuck in Traffic




       It took over five hours for my friend and I to get back to Irvine today from our hometown in the Central Valley. On a good day the drive will take four hours (or sometimes maybe just a little under that) but today was not one of those days. After sitting for two hours in traffic we finally reached the grapevine where we awaited more traffic, during this I looked over and saw the setting of this photo. Getting on the ramp of the grapevine I noticed a fog that was sitting gently on the mountains, not yet settling itself on the road (thankfully for us drivers). The fog created a type of blue/gray-like haze. In the midst of this haze there are beams of orange/yellow light that are being projected off of the sun setting. The orange/yellow light is trying it’s best to shine its way out of the haze but is slowly being drowned out by the blueish haze. The orange/yellow color is projecting its light across some of the mountains creating a very defined lining of the mountains. This lining creates a clear division of the mountains and the sky, it also clearly identifies the shape of the dark blue mountains. The setting at first seems cold because of the gray/blue haze, but for me it feels warm and comfortable despite the darker shades of color. Although there isn't much bright light in the setting the orange/yellow lights seem to get the warmth spread throughout.

       Looking at this setting and thinking that it appears to have a gray shade to it reminds me of how we were told in class that gray isn't a color that can be projected through light (correct me if I understood this wrong). If I were to put this on stage I would try to create the fog by using blue, purple and lavender gels. I would then use soft oranges and yellows to create the sun's beams. I feel like these gels would be able to display the same beauty on stage that I saw when I was stuck in traffic. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice detailed analysis of the photo and good connections to emotions

    Ye, gray light does not exist and if you look closely you will see lavender where you think you see grey

    Nice choices of color to create this onstage

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete