Saturday, November 24, 2012

Week 8: No Place Like Home

Since I live relatively close, I tend to go home often. The house always looks nice, but during my recent trip home for Thanksgiving, I noticed just how warm everything feels around the holiday season. My mom really brought in a Fall atmosphere by using lots of warm colors in our dining room. We have yellow walls in there already and the use of added oranges, ambers, reds, and even the natural glow of candles brought so much more to the room. It felt cozy, familiar, and welcoming and while my home is usually this way regardless of the season, the holiday spirit was lifted simply through the use of dimming lights, creating warmth, and inviting family over for a home-cooked meal.
Why is it that these colors are associated so often with the Fall and Winter holidays? Perhaps we look for the comfort of a fire's glow during times when the weather grows colder. Whatever it is, I can tell you that it is my favorite time of year and I am thrilled to see what other lights and colors abound in the coming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice image and post - would be a great research image to put thanksgiving on stage :)

    The warmth in the picture is great but also the relatively cool colors of the table behind and some of the flowers really add to the photo

    Nice post

    ReplyDelete