Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week 6: Here, Yet More


I spent the day at the Irvine Spectrum when I had stumbled upon this area. It wasn't exactly the busiest night at the Spectrum, but for about a minute, this area was completely empty. After I took a quick photo of this area, I reflected right then and there of what it made me feel. The lights on the palm trees definitely gave off a Christmas-y type of vibe while the yellow buildings resonated with the light, making it feel a warm place. It had a pleasant atmosphere to it at first glance. But with closer inspection, it felt lonely and empty. This is interesting to me because it was the first time (this quarter at least) that I had some sort of juxtaposition of feelings with the lighting. Though the absence of people could have been my initial reaction to why it felt quite peculiar to me, I realized it was the way that the lights seemed to lead towards something else into the distance beyond the last building at the end. The lights going from tree to tree support that, as it zigzags and makes me feel that the lights aren't exactly there to blast right in front to make it feel as though the excitement was then and there, but rather to illuminate a path to something even better/more exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting evaluation of the lighting in this photo

    I completely see what you are saying but I had to get through your entire post before I saw it - more about context

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete