Friday, October 26, 2012

Week 4: Concealed but watched


This picture is actually the un-cropped version of my current Facebook profile picture.  It was taken in my room back at home, and it actually took about 20 tries to get right because the iPod's face side camera doesn't preview correctly (you see the preview of what the camera sees, but then when it stores the picture it mirrors it, so the only way to get a good picture is trial-and-error).  The blazing light source in the center is my LED retrofitted AA Mini Maglite, and the red chromatic aberrations at the bottom of the image are a result of the light source overloading the iPod camera.  Moral of the story: LEDs are really bright.
The other thing I like about this picture is the very clear areas in and out of light.  The only other light source in the room was the iPod screen, so my face has this very noticeable area in darkness.  When I was taking this picture, I meant it to hold the ideas, "I'm here, I'm watching."  The darkness carries the knowledge that the world doesn't see, but the one eye in light carries that I can see.  I tried to keep my face otherwise expressionless, to further add to myself being the neutral observer.
That being said, looking at this picture a few more times gives me the impression of someone not merely observing, but searching.  This might just be because I'm listening to "The Wall" (Pink Floyd) again, but the short summary of the feeling is "Is there anybody out there?"
The picture was taken late at night and I was tired, and it does show do an extent in my eyes and in the shadows, as if I were not just searching but also tired of searching.  The face does not show discouragement or dispair though.
The LED light is completely incoherent, but the shadows still form and still tell.  Now you see me, now you don't, but I see you and I'm watching you.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely detailed post and the connection not just to what you felt but what the later image seem to say regardless of you emotions at the time

    ReplyDelete