Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week #2 Light Blog: Fairview Park



I needed some space to clear my head the other day.  I drove up and down the 405 for a few hours.  I wanted to get to a place where I could find a little bit of peace and solitude.  I remembered one of the first places on the suggested list for the light blog was Fairview Park.  So I typed it in my GPS and drove.  I got there as the sun was starting to go down.  I found a place to sit and just sat and watched the horizon.  One of the coolest things I saw was this picture of the sun.  It just struck me as how grand and all encompassing the sun really is.  This natural light was able to reach out and touch everything with great ease.  And the beauty of the light was impeccable.  It was astonishing to see because I know how much work light designers put into their shows in order to replicate beauty that is present daily in nature.  It really spoke to me about how powerful nature can be.  We as actors, students, designers, and humans are all trying to replicate what nature does on its own.  And it can never be truly copied.  Light designers aim to make that perfect moment on stage.  But it is almost futile to try and compare to something as beautiful as what I witnessed at Fairview Park.  Light has power to draw immense emotions, and this is what I felt on this day.

1 comment:

  1. Great place for a photo :)

    Really nice post and it shows how important it is for lighting designers to primarily light an emotion rather than the real thing - we will talk about this a lot in the process of this class

    ReplyDelete