Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week 4: By Curiosity Goaded



So I took this picture Friday morning at the top of my spiral staircase. The light was shining in through the window and I noticed the shadows of the window panes as well as the stair railing. As I moved towards it, my head created its own shadow. This reminded me of that scene in Mary Poppins when Bert spots Mary’s silhouette and traces it in chalk on the floor. Later in that scene, they escape into the chalk world and go on a fun-filled adventure. Golly, what a movie!

I’ll stop myself before I start ranting about the sheer amazingness of Mary Poppins and refer back to my picture-- I wanted to use this picture for my blog entry because I feel like it is a good representation of what shadows can emote in a scene. All of the shadow lines are perpendicular and boxy, with the stair railing forming shadows that almost resemble the bars of a jail cell. The only curved shadow is the one produced by my head. In this way, it is breaking out of the 2D “boxy-ness” and setting itself apart from the mundane and the ordinary. (Just as Mary Poppins and Bert did. Okay, I'll stop now.)

This sort of shadow manipulation could certainly be useful in lighting a show. Certain shadows can give the impression of jail cells or spider webs, creating a gloomy, foreboding vibe. Likewise, other objects can be isolated and accentuated by producing shadows unlike the others in the scene. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice attention to detail

    To take it one step further you should think about how you are affected by linear lines/shadows and more organic lines - look at tree shadows and think about how it changes your emotions

    ReplyDelete