Monday, October 15, 2012

Week 2: Gloomy Lamppost

Last summer I was lucky enough to take a two week trip to London, and after about a week into my trip I finally got the courage to ride the tube by myself and ended up at Waterloo bridge. While walking over the bridge I was able to see the London Eye, Big Ben, and House of Parliament, and for the first time there I really felt like I was in London. Once over the bridge I stood in front of the National Theater and caught a glimpse of this beautiful lamppost. I chose to use this picture because I feel it sums up two very wonderful aspect of the city: Its gloomy weather and beautiful architecture. Though it was mid day and during the warmest part or their summer it would get very gloomy and rain very suddenly. The lamppost is beautiful on its own, but it is the dim grey light in the top half of the picture and the little bit of blue shinning through the bottom left corner and top right corner that gives it a calm and mythical feel. The lighting surrounding the lamppost could be replicated on stage by maybe using par lights to get the uneven look of the clouds, and would be able to get certain areas darker than others.

1 comment:

  1. Nice image. A few technical thoughts - remember there is no such thing as grey light, but there is grey in nature and we are often asked or ask ourselves to create grey light - the interpretation of grey light often comes from the words we use to describe it, which you have done well here.

    Also, I feel you may want a "Fresnel" brushstroke more than a PAR for the overcast feel - but a PAR treatment on a cyc might be interesting

    Nice ties from the image to the emotions you were feeling!

    ReplyDelete