Friday, October 26, 2012

Week 4: Light Iconography

As I was driving up to LA 2 weeks ago, choosing probably the worst route I could have possible chosen, and sitting on the freeway for 3+ hours, I had a lot of time to look and think about things. It was night, and I saw the light block of skyscrapers downtown slowly get closer. It was kind of funny to see them all in a clump with empty space all around. I was struck by how unmistakable those lights were and what they meant.

This made my start thinking about other light icons. Mostly I came up with other driving-related light icons: headlights, tail lights, stop lights, street lights, then you have things like those lights on the bottoms of helicopters, interrogation rooms, search lights (like hollywood searchlight, maybe that's not the right word for it?), etc.
These examples, and many other lighting icons are easily replicable on stage, and give an immediate sense of either context or plot point.



This photograph was taken later that weekend when my my mom was driving me back from a play. I think that this light icon (headlights and tail lights, divided, on the freeway, especially densely packed), is not only iconic, but also emotionally charged -- when I see a freeway full of cars moving slowly, I go to agitation right away, before the actually waiting in traffic even happens. Thus adding tone to the scene as well as context. All without sets or actors.
I think this is very interesting and useful.

P.S. I am working on Jet of Blood (which everyone should come see tonight!) and have been able to see the space progress and the huge jump it took when we added sounds and lights. It is truly amazing what these design elements can accomplish and set up for the actors.
Come see Jet of Blood.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have made it to Jet of Blood but I was in LA - I heard great things and adore Arnel and Tiffany.

    Your post about icons is so true - some things are incredibly hard to exactly on stage - sunset, sunrise, etc but these icons can be duplicated exactly - sounds like an interesting lighting installation piece

    ReplyDelete